Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dating for the first time after the baby

Being a parent is easy. All you need to do is follow your instincts.

But being a 'responsible' parent is totally different. It's something that can not be taught; you just have to live and acquire this knowledge in each passing day.

Responsible parenthood is doing what's right for your child, not just what your heart desires. It's about letting your baby explore on his own, even if that means risking a bruise on his knee. It's about feeding him vegetables when what he really wants is banana -24/7. It's about forcing him to not go to the bathroom, when all he wants to do is play with the toilet.

Amongst all that, the hardest that I've done so far is to teach him to deal with separation anxiety.

It really doesn't sound all that hard. As a matter of fact, I've planned how to handle this way before even trying to have a baby. I've always known that I should raise my baby in a way that he doesn't suffer a bad case of separation anxiety in his toddler years. I've read books, magazines, blogs that gives suggestions in dealing with it.

Then time came when it's time to implement the plan. I told my husband that we should start being away from him for a couple of hours in the morning, while he is in a good mood and 'ol ready to play.

And below was how it rolled out...


9am: I give my mil instructions about how to take care of my baby, including but not limited to, what time his next nap will be, what to feed him, how to swaddle him, how to rock him, how to soothe him to sleep, when and how to change his diapers and more. That is despite her having 3 kids and 6 grand kids and a professional nanny of twins

915: I get dressed.

945: I go through the same
Instructions I gave at 9am.

10am: we leave the house.

10:05am:
Mama nalyn: Do you think Collin will be ok?
Papa dward: Yah of course

10:15am
Mama nalyn: Do you think Collin's ready to be away from me?
Papa dward: Yah of course

10:30am
Mama nalyn: Do you think Collin is sad because I'm gone?
Papa dward: No don't worry he'll be fine

10:45am
Mama nalyn: Being away from me for a while is good for him, right?
Papa dward: Yes of course
Mama nalyn: It is better to start young rather than me being away from him for the first time when he is already 4. Right?
Papa dward: Yes that's right
Mama nalyn: and he's having fun at home, right?
Papa dward: yes
Mama nalyn: and it's good that we go on dates so we won't be drained out and we keep a happy and healthy relationship, right?
Papa dward: yes that's right.

11am:
Mama nalyn: do you think..
Papa dward: (cuts of my sentence) OH MY GOD!! He'll be fine ok?!?!!!!!!
Mama nalyn: I wanna go home!!!!

But hey, we didn't go home. We immediately went to our appointment with the caterer for Collin's 1st birthday and then...

We watched a movie and had a lunch date. OK. We didn't! We just went straight home after the appointment.

Not bad for a first day out, right?

Popular Posts